What is a STARNET Fellowship?
To promote family education and professional development for individuals in Northwest and Central Illinois, STARNET Region I & III (part of a grant funded through the Illinois State Board of Education) offers fellowships.
A fellowship is a monetary award that reimburses eligible family members (up to $125 each) and early childhood professionals (up to $75 each) for certain expenses associated with attendance at an Illinois training event. Individuals may apply for a maximum of two fellowships per grant year (from July 1st to the following June 30th). Awards are based on available funds and approved at the discretion of the STARNET staff.
Families and providers within STARNET Regions I & III who meet the following eligibility requirements may apply for reimbursement: family of a child under the age of 6 with special needs; professionals who work for an early childhood special education program/provide special education services in STARNET Regions I & III.
What are the kinds of expenses for which I can be reimbursed?
Funds may be requested for family education and professional development opportunities, in accordance with STARNET policy, and include the following expenses:
Meals are not reimbursable. Funds available for in-state events only. Minimum application $25.
- workshop/conference registration fees
- mileage costs
- lodging expenses
- child care costs (parents of children with disabilities under age of 6 only - non-family member receipt necessary)
- substitute teacher expenses up to $65
How do I apply?
To apply for a Family/Professional Fellowship, follow these simple steps:
Note: You need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this document. If you don't have one, you can download it free from Adobe's website.
- Complete the application (download and print the form).
- Return the completed form to STARNET. PRE-APPROVAL IS REQUIRED and your application must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the event.
- Applicants will be notified of the status of their application in writing. If approved, a contract and the appropriate reimbursement forms will be mailed.
- If approved, applicants must submit original receipts for lodging & registration. If child care was requested, the child care portion of the reimbursement form must be completed.
- Materials must be submitted within 30 days after the event. To receive reimbursement please include a brief narrative describing how this opportunity benefited your child or the children you serve.